Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Cherry Point, located on eastern side of North Carolina, is within the city limits of Havelock. MCAS Cherry Point is known for the Second Marine Aircraft Wing; it also boasts the only Marine Corps Naval Aviation Depot, which maintains aircraft across several branches of the United States military.
Find information about Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina including the main commercial and DSN numbers for the base, information on basic services, base transportation, lodging for TDY and PSCing personnel, and inprocessing.
Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina Mission & Units
Units at MCAS Cherry Point include:
- 12th Dental
- 2D LAAD BN
- 2DMAW Band
- Aviation Survival Training Center Cherry Point
- CNATT MARUNIT
- MTACS-28 Bogue Field
- MWSS-271 Bogue Field
- Naval Aviation Depot
- Naval Clinic
- Reserve Support Unit
Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina History
Construction on MCAS Cherry Point started just before the attack on Pearl Harbor in December, 1941; in 1942, the facility was commissioned as Cunningham Field, named after the first aviator in the United States Marine Corps, Lieutenant Colonel Alfred A. Cunningham. It was later re-designated as MCAS Cherry Point.
The earliest mission for the Marine Corps Air Station was to train troops headed for the Pacific theater but it was also home to anti-submarine warfare operations. The training mission would continue through World War Two and the Korean War, but during Vietnam Cherry Point was responsible for deploying squadrons of A6 Intruders to support war efforts in against the North Vietnamese.
In the 1960s, the Air Station hosted an Air Force Air Defense Command Mobile Radar station, but that operation wound down eventually due to budget cuts and a reduced emphasis on anti-aircraft radar sites.
Deploying aircraft and personnel to war zones has been a staple of the MCAS Cherry Point mission ever since, including Operation Desert Storm and Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan.
Cherry Point occupies a large amount of space; Cherry Point and support locations include nearly 30 thousand acres and Cherry Point’s runway system is large enough that the facility was designated as an emergency landing site for Space Shuttle missions out of Cape Canaveral.
In 2013 MCAS Cherry Point was selected as the host site for the 11th Bold Quest coalition demonstration; it was picked in part due to its location-perfect for supporting East Coast ships including the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer USS Jason Dunham and Ticonderoga-class cruiser USS San Jacinto.
Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina Contacts
Main Base Address And Phone Number
MCAS Cherry Point
Bldg. 4335 C Street
Havelock, NC 28532
- (DSN) 312-582-4201
Important MCAS Cherry Point Phone Numbers
- Barracks/Single Service Member Housing 252-466-2139 / (DSN) 312-582-2139
- Child Development Centers 252-466-5856 / (DSN) 312-582-3782 or 312-582-3105
- Child and Youth Registration and Referral 252-466-3595 / (DSN) 312-582-3595 /5079
- Civilian Personnel Office 252-466-2109 / (DSN) 312-582-2109
- Emergency Relief Services 252-466-2031 / (DSN) 312-582-2031
- Family Advocacy Program 252-466-3264 / 252-466-3615/4366 (Emergency Services)
- 24/7 Sexual Assault Victim Advocate Response 252-665-4713
- 24/7 Domestic Violence Victim Advocate Response 252-671-0377
- Family Child Care/Child Development Homes 252-466-2621 / (DSN) 312-582-2621
- Finance Office 910-449-9143 / (DSN) 312-751-7757
- Naval Health Clinic Cherry Point Appointment Line 252-466-0921
- Urgent Care Center 252-466-0255/466-0256 / (DSN) 312-582-0266
- Household Goods/Transportation Office (inbound) 252-466-2345 / (DSN) 312-582-2345
- Cherry Point Family Housing Office 252-466-3602 / (DSN) 312-582-3602/4794/2071
- Housing / Atlantic Marine Corps Communities 1-866-509-2424
- I.D./CAC Card Processing 252-466-3330 / (DSN) 312-582-3330
- Information and Referral 252-466-4201 / (DSN) 312-582-4201
- Legal Assistance 252-466-2311 / 252-466-2361 / (DSN) 312-582-2311
- New Parent Support Program 252-466-3651 / (DSN) 312-582-3651
- Marine Corps Community Services 252-466-2301 / (DSN) 312-582-2430
- Financial Assistance Counselor 252-466-5837 / (DSN) 312-582-4201
- Installation Personnel Administration Center (IPAC) 252-466-7452 / (DSN) 312-582-7452
- Relocation Assistance 252-466-4201 / (DSN) 312-582-4201
- Retired Affairs Office 252-466-5548 / (DSN) 312-582-6756
- School Age Care Program 252-466-3861 / (DSN) 312-582-3861
- School Liaison Officer 252-466-7648 / (DSN) 312-582-7648
- Spouse Employment 252-466-4201 / (DSN) 312-582-4201
- Transient Enlisted Quarters 252-466-3060 / (DSN) 312-582-3060
- Temporary Lodging/Billeting 252-466-5169 / (DSN) 312-582-5169
- Transition Assistance Program 252-466-4201 / (DSN) 312-582-4201
MCAS Cherry Point, North Carolina Surrounding Area
The City of Havelock and the nearby area include many attractions for outdoors enthusiasts including the Croatan National Forest, the Pine Cliffs Recreation Area, and in nearby Newport Civil War buffs will enjoy the Battle of Newport Barracks Civil War Memorial Park.
Pelican Point features camping facilities, and antiques and art shops can be found in Havelock as well as an aviation museum.
MCAS Cherry Point, North Carolina Inprocessing and Check-In
Check-in procedures may vary depending on branch of service and the policies of the gaining command, but in general, Marines checking in during duty hours are directed to do so at the Installation Personnel Administration Center which may be reached by phone at (252) 466-5019/8146. Marines arriving after working hours must check in at Building 1.
Navy new arrivals should check in at the Welcome Center at the main gate. After duty hours, Navy personnel should check in at the Naval Clinic QuarterDeck (building 4389), but this operation is not 24/7-it is manned from 0530-2100. Call (252) 466-0266 for more information.
DOD Civilians who are reporting as new arrivals should visit the Civilian Human Resources Office East, Building 298. Call (252) 466-2109 for more information.
MCAS Cherry Point, North Carolina Services
The Cherry Point Naval Health Clinic is 28-beds clinic offering primary care. There is no emergency room available on Cherry Point but there is an Urgent Care clinic is open from 7AM to 7PM. Schedule appointments by calling 866-698-5834 or 252-466-0921. Services at the clinic include:
- General surgery
- Family medicine
- Internal medicine
- Orthopedic surgery
- Women’s health
All medical emergency issues should be handled by calling 911. After hours advice is available via TRICARE.
Cherry Point is served by three Child Development Centers that offer hourly care for children six weeks to 12 years of age. Hourly care reservations are possible two weeks in advance; call 910-466-3491.
Cherry Point CDCs also offer full-time care for children between six weeks and 5 years of age with meals provided. CDC full-time child care fees are based on total family income.
A School-Age Care program is also offered at Cherry Point; this is a before-and-after-school program for children between six and 12 (five year olds are accepted if enrolled in kindergarten.
The MCAS Cherry Point Distribution Management Office handles inbound household goods issues for PCSing military members and their families. Contact them upon arrival at the Air Station for information on arranging delivery and/or storage of household goods where applicable at 252-466-2345.
Incoming new arrivals are encouraged to use the Defense Personal Property System to track and manage household goods shipments. Utilize the system at Move.mil.
Dependent, Retiree, and Military ID Renewal, ID Card Replacement
The Cherry Point DEERS offices is responsible for renewing, replacing, and updating Common Access Cards, dependent military ID cards and retiree ID cards. Common Access Cards cannot be issued after 3:30 PM.
When dependents/retirees require ID card services, only original copies of required documentation are accepted; no notarized or photocopies are permitted. Anyone other than the military member trying to update or replace ID cards must have a power of attorney. Make an appointment by calling (252) 466-3330. Walk-in service may be limited or require long wait times.
MCAS Cherry Point, North Carolina Schools
Most children in military families assigned to Cherry Point will attend Craven County Schools which are for students living aboard MCAS Cherry Point, plus in the local communities of Havelock, New Bern, Bridgeton, Cove City, and Vanceboro. The specific school attended depends on the student’s address.
All new arrivals should know that North Carolina law includes a requirement that all students registering in a North Carolina public school must take a health assessment within 30 days and not later than 12 months before the date of attendance. Parents will need the required School Health Assessment Form.
Registration requirements include the following documents:
- Certified copy of the child’s birth certificate (not the “Mother’s Copy”)
- Proof of residency (tax statement, rental or lease agreement, dated residence contract, or current utility bill)
- Picture ID (for proof of residency purposes)
- Current immunization records
- Custody documentation where applicable
- Previous school’s withdrawal forms and copy of the most recent report card or school transcript for high school students
The MCAS Cherry Point School Liaison Officer is available to help those with PCS orders to the air station; call 252-466-7648 for more information.
MCAS Cherry Point Housing
On-base housing is privatized at Cherry Point and operated by Atlantic Marine Corps Communities. Inbound military members are required to apply for housing on the Air Station no later than 10 days prior to arrival.
Off-base housing is also available but all inbound personnel are required to contact the housing office before entering into any kind of rental or sales agreement in the local area. Contact the Cherry Point Housing office to learn more at the following numbers:
- DSN 312-582-3602/4794/2071
Unaccompanied personnel who are not entitled to a housing allowance will be housed by the MCAS Cherry Point Bachelor Housing Department in one of 18 barracks facilities. Single service members who may be required to use Bachelor Housing should call (252) 466-2699.
MCAS Cherry Point PCS and TDY Lodging
Two temporary lodging facilities can be found aboard Cherry Point, the Devil Dog Inn and the Cherry Point Inn. TDY reservations can be made as far out as one year in advance. Space-available reservations for any purpose can be made 10 days in advance.
There is a priority list for temporary lodging at MCAS Cherry Point which is as follows:
- Priority 1: Personnel traveling on official TAD/TDY orders;
- Priority 2: Those traveling in a PCS status and their dependents;
- Priority 3: Non-duty status travelers including retirees, official guests of the command, and contractors.
Make reservations by phone:
- Cherry Point Inn 252-466-5169 or DSN 312-582-5169
- Devil Dog Inn 252-466-3060
MCAS Cherry Point Transportation
The usual commercial transportation is available to and from Cherry Point including ride sharing services, taxis, shuttles, some public transportation, etc. A limited amount of on-base official shuttle travel may be available from temporary lodging on the air station to the Cherry Point Installation Personnel Administration Center for inprocessing or other official business.
MCAS Cherry Point Vehicle Registration And Driver’s License
All privately owned vehicles operated on MCAS Cherry Point must have the required minimum insurance required by the state, plus current tags and registration. All POVs must be registered with Pass And ID according to current requirements.
Proper documentation required to register vehicles entering the air station include:
- State driver’s license
- Military or Civilian ID card
- Valid state vehicle registration
- Proof of valid NC liability insurance
- Driver’s improvement card of all military personnel 25 years or younger
- Copy of Title Application Page when license plates have been transferred
Registration for all vehicles may or may not be considered “temporary” or visitor pass type registration depending on circumstances; drivers should be prepared for 100% ID checks using Common Access Cards, REAL ID-compliant driver’s licenses, or other required forms of identification.
Road checks, vehicle searches, and other activities may be occurring when arriving to MCAS Cherry Point; compliance with these is mandatory.