Naval Base Kitsap is a unique military base created out of two separate installations. Located on the Kitsap Peninsula in Washington state, the base started in 2004 with a merger of Naval Station Bremerton with Naval Submarine Base Bangor.
Find information about Naval Base Kitsap, including the main commercial and DSN numbers for the base, information on basic services, base transportation, lodging for TDY and PCSing personnel, and inprocessing.
Mission & Units
Kitsap is the home of the Navy fleet in West Puget Sound. It supports surface ships and nuclear submarines. Naval Base Kitsap is one of four U.S. Navy nuclear shipyards and is the only West Coast-based dry dock that can accommodate Nimitz-class aircraft carriers. Important missions and units there include:
- Naval Region Northwest
- Submarine Group 9
- Submarine Squad. 17
- Marine Corps Security Force Co.
- Naval Computer & Telecommunications (NCTAMS PAC -Detachment Puget Sound)
- Naval Dental Center NW
- Naval Hospital Bremerton
- Naval Hospital Bremerton Command Master Chief
- Naval Legal Services Office NW
- NAVIMFAC PACNORWEST
- Personnel Support Detachment -Naval Base Kitsap
- Public Affairs Office – Puget Sound Naval Shipyard
- Public Affairs Office Naval Base Kitsap
- Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Commander
- Strategic Weapons Fac.Pacific
- Submarine Development Squadron 5
- Transient Personnel Unit (TPU)
- Transient Personnel Unit (TPU) Detachment (CPO-In-Charge)
- Trident Training Facility
- USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74)
- USS Ronald Reagan
Naval Base Kitsap is unique for several reasons, but one is its age–this naval installation’s history begins in 2004 with the merger of Naval Station Bremerton with Naval Submarine Base Bangor. Bringing those two operations together as a Naval Base made Kitsap the third-largest Navy base in the United States.
It all began back in 1891, when 190 acres of the Pacific Northwest was purchased for the first Naval Station Puget Sound. Naval Base Kitsap Bangor’s official history begins in 1942, as the staging area for shipping WW2 ammunition to the Pacific theater.
Fast-forward to 1998, when Naval Station Bremerton was commissioned as what was then said to be the Navy’s newest home port. In 2004 the two operations (Bangor and Bremerton) were merged and the area redesignated Naval Base Kitsap. In spite of the merger, one operation (Puget Sound Naval Shipyard) continues to operate as a separate unit.
Main Base Address And Phone Numbers
120 S. Dewey Street
Naval Base Kitsap, Building 443
Bremerton, WA 98314-5020
- DSN: 312-439-4024
Important Naval Base Kitsap Phone Numbers
- Autoport (360) 697-8711
- Barracks/Single Service Member Housing (360) 476-3035
- Base Operator (360) 396-6111
- Child Care Resource & Referral of Kitsap County (360) 373-1252
- Child Development Center – Bangor (360) 535-5953
- Child Development Center (Jackson Park) – Bremerton (360) 476-8666
- Child Development Homes – Bangor (360) 396-5920
- Emergency 911
- Exceptional Family Member Program Liaison (360) 396-4115
- Family Advocacy Program (360) 315-3045
- Family Center (360) 396-4115
- Hospital/Medical Treatment Facility (360) 475-4000
- ID/CAC Card Processing (360) 396-4665
- Information and Referral Services (360) 396-4115
- Legal Services/JAG – Bangor (360) 396-6003
- Naval Hospital Bremerton – EFMP Enrollment (360) 475-4543
- Naval Legal Service Office (NLSO) (360) 476-2156
- New Parent Support Program (360) 476-7483
- School Age Care (Jackson Park) – Bremerton (360) 627-2041
- Spouse Education, Training and Careers (360) 396-4115
- Welcome/Visitors Center (360) 396-4115
State parks and museums abound in the area of Washington State where NB Kitsap is located; you’ll find Manette Bridge, Illahee State Park, Elandan Gardens, Puget Sound Naval Shipyard Memorial Plaza among others.
Outdoor fun includes fine arts thanks to the Kitsap Forest Theater and the Bremerton Bug Museum promises family fun combined with education. Local farmers markets, art galleries, and restaurants with plenty of local color such as the Bay Street Bistro or Boat Shed Restaurant. Bainbridge Island, Port Orchard, and Poulsbo, Washington are all nearby and Seattle is approximately an hour and 20 minutes from the base.
Inprocessing and Check-In
All inbound PCSing troops should coordinate their arrival with the gaining command and make contact with the gaining command on the first duty day after arrival. Those who need further assistance should report to the Naval Base Kitsap – Bangor Duty Office in Bldg. 1100 by the main gate. Call them at 360-627-4024 or DSN 627-4024 for local assistance.
There are several options for health care on base in the area including Naval Base Kitsap Bangor, with its Branch Medical Clinic open to active duty and on-base families.
The Naval Hospital in Bremerton is considered the primary military care facility there, but Madigan Army Medical Center (said to be the largest military medical treatment facility) is roughly 45 miles from Bangor in Tacoma, Washington.
According to DoD sources, TRICARE Prime enrollees living in a 30 minute range of the Naval Hospital get a Primary Care Manager and “receive care through one of the primary care entry points” such as Family Practice or Pediatrics Clinics.
Those who are PCSing to the area may also opt for TRICARE Standard (with cost-sharing features) which helps “families to see any physician in the area who accepts TRICARE payments” according to the DoD.
Those working at NB Kitsap are served by Child Development Centers under the jurisdiction of the Navy Region Northwest; Child Development Centers are plentiful in the local area at the following locations:
- Naval Station Everett
- Naval Base Kitsap Bangor
- Naval Base Kitsap Bremerton (Infant & Toddler) & Bremerton in Jackson Park Housing
- Naval Air Station Whidbey
The CDC facilities offer care for children six weeks to five years old. Waiting lists may apply, and Child Development Home care may be offered depending on circumstances. Call 360-373-1252 or 800-300-1247 for signup procedures and more information.
All sailors and other troops PCSing to the base are directed to track and manage their household goods shipments to the base via the Defense Personal Property System at Move.mil. You can also call the Household Goods/TMO office at (800) 876-7022 for additional help.
Dependent And Retiree ID Card Renewal, Replacement, New Issue
All ID card services should be scheduled via the Naval Base Kitsap RAPIDS system. Same-day appointments are generally not possible and walk-ins are discouraged. You will need two forms of unexpired ID for most transactions and your ID may be required to be REAL ID Act compliant.
Children of military families stationed at Kitsap will attend school based on the location of the residence, which is true of both school options for those living on base or off:
- Naval Base Kitsap – Bangor: Central Kitsap School District or North Kitsap School District
- Naval Base Kitsap – Bremerton/Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton School District
- Naval Base Kitsap – Keyport: North Kitsap School District
- Jackson Park Military Family Housing: Bremerton School District or in the Central Kitsap School District
Transfer requirements may vary depending on the district, student age, and other variables. Off-base school districts in the area include:
- Bainbridge Island School District
- Bremerton School District
- Central Kitsap School District
- North Kitsap School District
- North Mason School District
- South Kitsap School District
Contact the Naval Station Kitsap School Liaison Office for transfer requirements and other information as soon as you have orders. Call them at 360-476-7243.
Naval Base Kitsap housing is operated by a public/private venture agreement between the base and Hunt Companies. There are well over 1700 units operated on the base but also in Bangor and Keyport.
You will need referral services for Hunt Companies, which are provided via the Naval Base Kitsap Housing Office. The Housing Office also advises those PCSing to the area to complete and submit a housing application within 30 days of your reporting date. Doing so means the day you are eligible for housing or to go on a housing wait list is the day you depart your losing base.
Waiting list times vary based on factors including rank, pay grade, and family status. To be added to the Kitsap Housing Office waiting list, complete the following:
- DD Form 1746
- Addendum to DD Form 1746, Registered Sex Offender Form
- A copy of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders or;
- Change of Homeport Certificate
- Exceptional Family Member Program endorsement where applicable
- NAVPERS 1070/602 (page 2)
- Interstation Entitlement From
- Information release
Unaccompanied service members including geographically separated or geographic bachelors E4 and below are required to live in Unaccompanied Housing; single E-4s and above (with more than four years of service) are not required to live in Unaccompanied Housing.
These troops must get permission from the gaining command to live on-base instead of the barracks.
PCS and TDY Lodging
There are two temporary lodging facility options on base; Navy Gateway Inn and Suites, and the Navy Lodge. For the Navy Gateway Inn and Suites, call 1-877-NAVY-BED (1-877-628-9233) to make reservations.
Those traveling on orders have priority; Space Available lodging is only permitted for seven days. Pet facilities may be extremely limited depending on time of year, demand, mission requirements, etc. On orders, you can stay for the duration of the orders. Space-A is limited to seven days.
The Navy Lodge is located in the Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor Complex and is open to military retirees and military families. 1-800-NAVYINN. Pet facilities may be limited, call ahead to learn what is possible based on your projected arrival date.
NAS Kitsap is roughly 50 miles from SEATAC Airport, but depending on the time of your arrival, traffic issues may make the one-hour drive longer and more complicated.
Ask your sponsor about transportation options from the airport based on time of arrival, tourist season, and other variables. The usual ride-sharing and commercial taxis may be available depending on time of arrival.
Vehicle Registration And Driver’s License
All privately owned vehicles must be registered with the Pass & ID office. You must provide proof of insurance and carry all required safety equipment. Photography, even with cell phone cameras within moving vehicles, is completely off-limits onboard Naval Station Kitsap unless prior arrangements have been made.
All new arrivals to Washington State must apply for a Washington State driver’s license with 30 days of arrival; registration of a POC is not possible without doing this.
Military members and spouses who relocate to Washington State are eligible to apply for driver’s licenses with the word “military” as the expiration date; no license renewal is needed as long as the military member remains on active duty, or is called to Guard or Reserve duty for 180 days or longer.
Spouses, domestic partners, or dependents must live at the same address as the active duty military member to take advantage of this benefit.